Steps to Update Your Plain Bathroom Mirror
Here are my Steps to Update Your Plain Bathroom Mirror:
Select the largest open back ready made frame that will fit on top of your existing mirror. If you cannot find the color or metallic finish in a style or size you need, you can paint them. Hobby Lobby has a wide variety of easy to use metallic paints or colored paints with a matte or gloss finish in small bottles that can be brushed on. My favorites acrylic paints in small bottles are DecoArt Metallics and Metallic Craft Paint. If possible I prefer to use a spray paint over one that I brush on. You can achieve a more professional smooth look. My favorite is Krylon Colomaster Paint and Primer with Durable Cover Max available in both Gloss or Matte. I love it drys in 10 minutes!! I have spray painted 3 coats on a small wall cabinet and hung it back on the wall in less than an hour. This amazing paint covers glazed pottery, metal, wood and plastic. You can use it outside too.
- Using heavy hook and loop tape (or velcro) that can be purchased at any home improvement store the frames were centered over each sink.
- These frames are available at Hobby Lobby, Michaels or most any framing shop. Your bathroom will look more cohesive if your match your frame to your faucets, lighting or counter tops.
- Hook and loop tape comes in two pieces that stick together. The soft side of the tape is adhered to the back of the mirror with the rough side of the tape to the mirror.
- If the back of your frame is unfinished you will need to paint the frame back with black or dark brown paint. If you do not do this the raw wood will show in the reflection of the mirror.
- When adhering the tape to both the mirror and frame you will need to take exact measurements. The tape will need to be placed exactly the same distance from the frame edge on all sides.
- Once you have placed the tape on the back of the frame, measure the rectangle of tape. Be sure to write this down because you will need it later.
- Find the center of your mirror over each sink by using the faucet as your center. Use painters tape to create the same rectangle as the one on the back of your frame created by the soft side of the hook and loop tape.
- Using the painters tape as your guide, removing a few inches at a time peel off the tape and replace it with the rough side of the hoop and loop tape. Do not press down to hard on the tape so that you can repostion it if necessary.
- Hold the frame up to the mirror to see if the tape on the mirror and the tape on the frame line up. If so, press down the tape on the mirror to secure it. The frame will not fall off the mirror.
Due the large amount of space above the existing mirror and the ceiling, I added plaques in a finish close to the frame. To complete the look in this bathroom counter top three accessories in three different heights placed between the sinks /mirrors created an eye catching focal point. Iron work and a fern on plant stand were added to the bathtub. If you follow my steps to update your plain bathroom mirror you will add style to your plain bathroom for little cost. Everyone will think you have hung a mirror on top of a mirror. If you update your plain bathroom mirror your home will be easier to sell in the future. I have used this update for staging homes.
If you have any questions please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org